The first 100 Women Who Care group began in 2006 in Michigan. There are now over 700 groups like ours around the world! This concept has been very effective because of its simplicity. To find out about other groups throughout the country and world, go to the 100 Who Care Alliance page.
- We encourage 100 or more women to commit to our group. Commitment involves pledging $100 per meeting. You are welcome to form a 2-4 person group membership to share the financial commitment, but the group would only have one vote.
- As a committed member, you may nominate local 501(c)3 charities. Nominated charities must be in Pasco County.
- There is a “Questions to Consider” form with a series of questions, which will help you (and the charity representative) know what information to provide if chosen to speak on behalf of your charity.
- Three charities from the nominations are randomly selected. Each will have 5 minutes to give a presentation about their organization and 5 minutes for Questions & Answers. The person who nominated the selected group must (at a minimum) get up and introduce the group and say why she selected the charity. The member may then opt to introduce one member from the charity to speak, or the member can speak for the 5 minutes. The selected charities are welcome to place fliers in the back of the room for members to get more information.
- We will then vote. Anyone with a friend’s check can vote on behalf of the friend. The check serves as a proxy.
- If your charity does not receive the most votes, you may continue to nominate that charity for future meetings. If your group is voted to be a recipient, you wait at least 3 years until that charity can be nominated again.
- All members will write a check directly to the organization.
- If you cannot attend our meeting, it is imperative that you get your check in within 2 weeks so we can qualify for up to the full $5,000 matching grant from the Richard M. Schulze Foundation. (Please Note: Only 501(c)(3) organizations who have been operating for at least one year are eligible to be considered for the matching grant.)
- Within a few weeks after our meeting, we will present our collective gift to the organization! It usually takes that long to collect checks from members who couldn’t attend the meeting. Members are invited to attend the check presentation which will be announced via e-mail and Facebook.
TO SUM IT UP: 3 groups present, we take a vote, the winner is announced, and you contribute $100 to that charity!